On February 18, HAPI conducted a training session for those taking Field Sampling & Testing Module Bituminous (Asphalt) Unit Exam. While the training is geared towards those taking the exam, it is opened to anyone interested in the subject.
The session was attended by 15 people from HAPI members Grace Pacific LLC, R.M. Towill Corporation, SSFM International, and TM Designers, Inc. Staff from Lendlease also attended.
This was the second edition of the workshop was improved thanks to comments from participant in the inaugural workshop. Improvements included a presentation on asphalt binders and asphalt plants, and a practice of the practical (verbal) exams. Those that attended the inaugural workshop noticed an improved participation by the group.
Was the workshop effective? Those that responded to our “after the exam” survey all reported passing the exam.
Comments from the attendees:
– The presentations were very organized and the teachers are knowledgeable.
– Having someone giving advice from a previous course/test was very helpful in preparing for the upcoming tests.
– HAPI is very important to ensure that knowledge is passed down and standards are maintained in the field.
– Thank you (HAPI) for taking the time to prepare and present a class for people going thru the testing.
Thanks to the following for their efforts at the workshop:
– Rich Gribbin (Jas. W. Glover, Ltd.) our instructor for sharing his knowledge of the sampling procedures.
– Evan Kaichi (R.M. Towill Corporation) for leading the exercise of practicing the practical exams.
– Brandon Lima and Brent Ishikawa (Grace Pacific LLC) for sharing their hands on sampling experience.
The next workshop is scheduled for August 2017 in preparation for the exam in September.